Chairperson: Dr. Elizabeth Yanoff
Higbee Hall, Room 109, (518) 629-7250
The Teaching Assistant Certificate program is designed to provide students with a general core of college-level courses. For more information about teaching assistant certification from the New York State Education Department, go to www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert. The courses offered in this program also can be applied to an associate’s degree in early childhood. This entire program may be completed online or in the traditional format or a combination of both formats.
The program provides the student with an interactive classroom setting in which the student will acquire educational information and develop skills to enhance their ability to:
- Speak and write effectively
- Respond to the daily classroom management needs
- Communicate with parents, students and other staff
- Assist the teacher with preparation and instructional delivery within the classroom
- Respond to the academic and instructional needs of children with special needs
- Provide developmentally appropriate activities for children
- Demonstrate positive discipline techniques
- Identify instructional methodology including differentiated teaching strategies
- Provide support and assistance for diverse student needs
This program not only prepares the student for employment as a teaching assistant, but allows for transfer into the Early Childhood A.A.S degree program and eventually to a four-year baccalaureate degree program in education.
Please note that, although fingerprinting is not required for admission into this program, those who seek employment working with children and seek certification from the New York State Education Department will be required to complete the fingerprinting process and background check, which may require a separate fee to an agency. Any individual with a criminal record may not find gainful employment in the field of early childhood or education.
Program Entrance Requirements
|Algebra or 1 unit of equivalent academic math
||Fall and Spring
||A 2.0 GPA is required for transfer students.
||70 or above
See Technical Standard for Promotion and Graduation for the Education Department .
The estimated cost of books for the student enrolled in the first full-time term as outlined would be approximately $105.